Recently, Charmaine had the opportunity to speak at the Canadian Association of Professional Speakers Convention (CAPS) in Ottawa. Many speakers attended her session on Planning a Speaking and Book Tour.
One of the marketing tips she provided was ensuring that your college or university alumni is engaged in your project. Alumni associations love to hear and share the good news of their members and graduates (no matter how long ago it was). They all have a big database, a large social media following, newsletters, events, and magazines or publications.
Charmaine has been featured in all her Alumni magazines (Sheridan College, Royal Roads University, University of Waterloo, and Renison College). Two of these Alumni nominated her for prestigious awards, one of which she was honoured with several years ago (Alumni of the year).
They have also hosted events for Charmaine and have attended conferences where she is speaking. She has had numerous updates and full-page features in their magazines and newsletters over the years.
Are you collaborating with your college or university alumni to help raise dreams? If not, you may be missing one of your most powerful marketing supports.
Here are strategies to help you collaborate with your Alumni.
10 Helpful tips to engage your Alumni with your dreams, projects, and news:
- Add your Alumni contacts to your media and press release/news distribution list.
- Ensure you are following your Alumni on social media platforms and engage on their social sites.
- Share your news with the Alumni office.
- Invite the Alumni to attend events where you are speaking.
- Provide their library with a copy of your book.
- Invite the bookstores to carry a small amount of your books in the store.
- Do a book signing/presentation at one of their events.
- Work with your Alumni to include an article in their publications.
- Update your Alumni profile on their platforms.
- Include the colleges and universities you have attended in your LinkedIn profile.